Thursday, December 21, 2017
Harvey Weinstein, TWC Hit With $10 Million Lawsuit From Former ‘Marco Polo’ Associate Producer
Harvey Weinstein and The Weinstein Company are facing another sexual harassment lawsuit, this time from Alexandra Canosa, a former associate producer on the Netflix series “Marco Polo.”
In the $10 million suit filed in New York Supreme Court, Canosa said Harvey Weinstein sexually harassed, intimidated and assaulted her over a number of years.
“Harvey Weinstein threatened plaintiff and made it clear that if she did not succumb to his demands or if she exposed his unwanted conduct there would be retaliation, including humiliation, the loss of her job and any ability to work in the entertainment business,” the papers obtained by TheWrap state.
The suit also names The Weinstein Company and its board of directors as defendants (as the embattled indie studio is on the block for sale), saying they “knew or should have known about Harvey Weinstein’s conduct, and did not act to correct or curtail such activity.”
“The foregoing events and actions of Harvey Weinstein took place in conjunction with Plaintiff’s employment, in various capacities, for Harvey Weinstein and The Weinstein Company,” the suit said.
Canosa is represented by Charles Stewart of Stewart Occhipinti and Darryl Horowitt and Judy Sasaki of Coleman & Horowitt.
“Marco Polo,” which was created by John Fusco and inspired by Marco Polo’s early years in the court of Kublai Khan, was canceled by Netflix in December 2016 after two seasons. It starred Lorenzo Richelmy (above) in the title role with Benedict Wong as Kublai Khan.
This marks the seventh lawsuit against Weinstein, with six other women filing against him and his former company earlier this month.
A representative for Harvey Weinstein declined to comment on the latest lawsuit but reiterated their prior response stating: “Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein. Mr. Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances. Mr. Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but with respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr. Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual.”
Reps for TWC did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment.
Pamela Chelin contributed to this report.
Source: the wrap feed