Season 5 of “Orange is the New Black” opens with Dayanara “Daya” Diaz (Dascha Polanco) aiming a gun at a kneeling correction officer, threatening to pull the trigger, with a crowd of inmates surrounding her and encouraging her to do it.
But wait … how the hell did we end up here?
If your memory is anything like ours (selectively shoddy), all you probably remember from Season 4 is that our beloved Poussey Washington (Samira Wiley) was killed at the hands of a correction officer and that everyone was an emotional wreck because of it. The rest of the season was quite a blur to be honest, but it’s OK because we’re going to backtrack a bit and figure out exactly what went down last year that led up to Daya ready to shoot an officer.
Also Read: Netflix In June: What's Coming and What to Watch Before It's Gone
So to lightly brush up on Season 4 — at least enough to prepare you for Season 5 — let’s start with some of the need-to-know basics that might start to jog your memory a bit.
- Judy King (Blair Brown), a celebrity chef, is serving her time in Litchfield and is bunking with Erica “Yoga” Jones (Constance Shulman).
- Daya didn’t end up giving her baby away to Pornstache’s mom because her mom, Aleida Diaz (Elizabeth Rodriguez), lied and said the kid died during labor but really the kid was given to her boyfriend Cesar — who ended up getting arrested and now the baby is in foster care. Oops.
- Alex Vause (Laura Prepon) and Lolly (Lori Petty) — the inmate who always thinks the government is watching her — end up killing a corrections officer and burying him in the garden because turns out, he wasn’t really a corrections officer he was really a hitman sent after Alex. Frieda Berlin (Dale Soules) finds out and suggests they cut the body up into six pieces and bury it that way … umm … sure.
- Blanca Flores (Laura Gomez) gets beat up by two white inmates which creates racial tensions between the Dominicans and whites.
- Tasha “Taystee” Jefferson (Danielle Brooks) gets hired as Joe Caputo’s (Nick Sandow) assistant — and she loves it.
- Brooke Soso (Kimiko Glenn) and Poussey are pretty much in a relationship and start planning their life together.
- Sophia Burset (Laverne Cox) is in solitary confinement and doing all kinds of defiant acts to get herself out.
- Lolly freaks out about the body her, Alex and Frieda buried and is bringing too much attention to the situation that Frieda suggests killing her so they don’t get in trouble.
- Maria (Jessica Pimentel) starts her own dirty underwear business which directly clashes with Piper’s (Taylor Schilling) — which further ignites racial tensions and ends up with Piper getting a Swastika branded on her arm.
- The body ends up being discovered by some people doing construction at Litchfield, but Caputo can’t deal with it right away because he has to leave and tells the officers to just maintain order in the meantime — that definitely doesn’t happen. The guards decide to have some “fun” and create a fight club by insisting that Suzanne “Crazy Eyes” (Uzo Aduba) fight Maureen Kukudio (Emily Althaus). Oh and Piscatella is interrogating everyone.
- When Caputo gets back, all the inmates complain about Piscatella and threaten to protest if homeboy doesn’t resign and/or is fired — which he isn’t. He continues working at Litchfield and is consistently pushing Galina “Red” Reznikov (Kate Mulgrew) to her limits.
- At this point, everyone’s had enough and begins to protest in the cafeteria which causes the guards to call for back up. In the midst of all this, Bailey tackles Poussey and has his knee on her back not noticing that the entire time she’s gasping for air — he ends up killing her.
- Poussey’s body gets no respect, as it’s kept lying on the cafeteria floor for hours while Caputo holds a press conference to address the situation. The inmates decide they need to take justice into their own hands and start a riot.
And more or less, that’s how we ended up with Daya pointing a gun at a correction officer’s face.
So sit back, get ready to binge watch Season 5 and prepare to forget what happened in a few months. Happy “Orange is the New Black” Day!
Related stories from TheWrap:
‘Sesame Street’ Takes on Healthy Snacking With ‘Orange Is the New Black’ Parody (Video)
‘Orange Is the New Black’ Star Asia Kate Dillon Teases More Brandy in Season 5 (Exclusive Video)
Why ‘Orange Is the New Black’ Star Uzo Aduba Cheers on Crazy Eyes’ Love Life (Exclusive Video)
Source: the wrap feed